Thursday 8 November 2012

Money and Gor... Are They Related?

As I mentioned my last post – writing about ‘stay at home slaves’ sparked another topic.

So, here we are.

Money.

It appears to be a bit of a taboo subject at the moment what with so many people being made redundant, hours being cut back and generally the lack of employment all over the world.

But the question I’m interested in is.. Do you need money to be Gorean?

As I said in my last post – I was very lucky that my Master had the money to ‘keep’ me at home all the time. I had no need to work. But this isn’t the norm, and certainly isn’t possible for most people. Society and the rising cost of living almost forces all people to work, where fifty, a hundred, two hundred years ago it was unheard of and frowned on for women to be in the ‘mainstream’ workplaces.

So do you NEED money to be Gorean? My answer would be ‘no.’ But I don’t believe you can be a ‘master’ if you’re sponging off someone else (friends, family, state) - but even a shelf-stacker can be Gorean – I know, I’ve met some! Just like I don’t believe ‘slaves’ should get into the Gorean lifestyle because they are looking for a meal ticket.

So why are some Goreans so focused on ‘competing’ for that title of ‘Richest Idiot’? I don’t think it is a ‘Gorean’ problem so much as it is a ‘humanity’ problem. The world is all about wealth and beauty. I mean, looking at the Gorean point of view, there should be no emphasis on money at all – most of the people we, as readers, meet in the books are either skint or close to it. Only a select few are what we as modern day people would class as ‘rich’ (the Ubars, the high/best merchants and high/best slavers, etc.)

Now, I have to admit.. Money has never been a great issue in my life, bar maybe a few months in my late teens. I have been very lucky in life with money, my parents are fairly well off, my own bank accounts have rarely been ‘empty,’ but I always worked for my earnings. Thankfully, it was never handed to me on a silver platter by ‘mummy and daddy.’ That, I believe, has taught me the meaning and value of money – and I don’t believe I take money for granted.

However, I don’t judge people on whether they have money or not. So many do. I don’t care if someone is struggling to get by week to week, having to buy the ‘budget’ brands, never go on holiday and has only two or three sets of clothes (I know people that, unfortunately, are in a situation like this), and I don’t care if someone earns more than me, spends nine months of the year jetting off on holiday and eating caviar. If they do the work either to get it, or earn it in some way - fair play to them.

The people I have a problem with are those that claim to have money (or not! There are a lot of ‘poor me’ people out there who want, expect or beg for handouts when they are actually doing fairly well for themselves) when in reality their situation is very different. Anyone else remember the big uproar about the ‘beggars’ in London who were walking around the corner and getting into a brand new Jag? I’m reminded of the sayings “He who shouts the loudest...” and/or “The lady doth protest too much, methinks..” when I see people announcing their poverty or wealth.

So, I don’t believe you need money to be Gorean, but having money can change how you live, and in that sense it can both improve a life and ruin it. Remember, money can’t buy honour, money can’t buy class, money can’t buy self-control or self-awareness, and money can’t buy love. So all the things I believe are needed to be Gorean and in a happy relationship in general... have no use for money.

Copyright

All content on this website is copyright protected.



Permission to use any of the content must be sought from either the author, or Asmodeus. Details on how to contact can be found on the 'Blog and Me' page.



©The House of Asmodeus